08/02/2008

My start in Blenheim

9 February 2008
The last two weeks in Wellington I have been preparing for my move to Blenheim and today I did the packing. It is very strange to leave this city after living here for exactly two years; and it still is one of the best places to live in New Zealand - in my opinion. I might change my view after a while in Blenheim. Often it is also a lot about the people you meet and here in Wellington I have been lucky to get to know a lot of great people and thus making some valuable friendships. The last few weeks I was able to meet up with most of my friends over coffee or lunch and I have enjoyed every second of it.

Going to live in another town means I have to start all over again. Not only with meeting people, but this time my life will be totally different because I will be living without Marco and will lead a student life. It won’t be easy, but for me it is part of trying to settle into the NZ way of living.

11 February 2008
Yesterday I arrived in Blenheim in my new home. Luckily my flatmate was around so we have been around town already and could get to know each other a bit. She is a lovely girl/lady from India and I am sure we will have a good time. My landlady is great as well but she is not around that often.

Then I had my first day in school. The best thing about the class already is that we have the most amazing mix of people. We come from every continent in the world and from various backgrounds. A lot of the students have worked in other professions for years already (like me) and want to make a career change. It will be very interesting to get to know all these people. Of course a first day is a bit strange and not a lot is happening, but overall the first impression was a good one.

15 February 2008
It’s the end of the week and a lot has happened in the mean time. On Tuesday I had friends from Wellington visiting Blenheim. Unfortunately, I was only able to meet them in the evening, but we had a nice time in the (only) pub in town.

During the school days not a lot actually happens but we have to get used to a certain routine although at the moment there doesn’t seem to be any set scheme. Our daily/weekly plans change constantly, so we never know what to expect, so we just expect the unexpected and that’s good in a way. Although by now a few people start to complain about the institute not being organised properly. I don’t care yet, because I have expected it to be like this and will see what happens in the upcoming weeks. At least I know some very nice people already.

Apart from school I also need to find a job that brings a bit of money in. So, on Monday I started looking around and talking with people. In a hotel I was lucky. They were short of staff in housekeeping (in which I am very experienced in the mean time) and later on maybe also in front of house staff. So, although I mentioned I do not really like it, I took a cleaning job for this upcoming weekend and hoped that something else might come up as well. So, yesterday the manager phoned me and I have a waitress job tonight during a wedding at the hotel.

Apart from that I have a volunteer job this afternoon at the museum where a launch of the Wine Heritage Exhibition is held. This was organised by my landlady so I would be able to get to know the people in the field. That is great of course, because also here it is very important ‘who you know’ and ‘who knows you’.

So, at this moment I look back at a good start of my new life in Blenheim and I am confident that it is going to be a very interesting time.

Cheers
Anita

No comments: