14/01/2008

Dunedin to Wanaka

Hi all,

First of all I want to apologise for not responding to all the e-mails that I have got. Since it is sometimes quite difficult to find a good internetcafe, my priority is to keep this weblog up to date, but if I have a chance I will reply to your messages.

I left you all in Dunedin, where I explored the city, that was a bit quiet at the moment because of the students being away on holiday, but still it was vibrant enough. A lot of nice cafe's and restaurants, a beautiful Art Gallery, some cinemas (haven't watched a movie because the weather was too nice), the Sports Hall of Fame in the beautiful railway station etc.etc. Here I decide to take the train for a touristy ride. This is called the Taieri Gorge Railway; the carriages are very old and beautiful; the scenery was amazing. Absolutely something to do when you are in the neighbourhoud. For me it was a good way to avoid some of the high hills outside Dunedin and I am glad I made this beautiful trainride. This brought me in Pukerangi, where I was left with my bicycle in what seemed to me 'the middle of nowhere'. There was really nothing around, only dry hills. There was one gravel road which I took to the highway, expecting to be 5km away. However, after 10km cycling I still did not see a turn off to the highway and was doubting whether I went the right direction. Going back at this stage, however, was not really an option either. Luckily after 2km I reached the highway and went on to Middlemarch, where the popular Rail Trail starts/ends. The Rail Trail is a 150 km long stretch of former railway that was turned into a cyclist/walker trail in 1990. I am not very keen to cycling this trail because of the gravel and the heavy load on my bicycle. However, after some advise from other cyclists I decide to take the trail for a small part - and it is beautiful!! There are no cars, only a few cyclists. The scenery is beautiful, what else do you want?

The following day a strong wind is blowing and I go on with my trip via the road, but because of the strong side winds, I head back to the Rail Trail, since I do not want to be blown under a car. This morning I even have to walk at times, because of the strong winds - very unusual and I see another cyclist fall of her bike. The conditions are really difficult this day, which I really am remembered of when I hit a strong sidewind myself and fall off my bicycle. Aaauuwwww, that hurts! It is not a good idea to try to kiss a gravel road, because I have a hole in me knee with stones in it. Luckily soon I see someone who can give me some assistance and my bicycle is still fine and so I can still go on.
It takes me about 20 km before I find a real town, but not with a doctor who I would really need to see. Luckily I meet some very nice people at a campground who bring me to Alexandra, where another very friendly lady at the I-Site organises a doctor and a place to stay. The lady who runs the backpackers where I am going to stay, picks me up and brings me to the doctor (wound cleaned, got some other small stones out of the hole in my knee) and serves me a meal in the evening. I met a lot of great people today!

The next day I decide to take a rest in Alexandra. I have to clean my bike, because dust is all over and my chain makes a strange noise. Luckily my accident was without any big consequences, so I walk to the town and visit a great exhibition of a NZ artist. The subject is the cultural diversity in this country and acceptance - a subject that I, as an immigrant, very much can relate to. I am lucky to be able to speak with the artist and he was glad as well, because he will be in Holland in April.

Then I head on the shuttle bus to Wanaka, to meet a friend of mine from Dordrecht. We tried a few times to meet up, but finally after three weeks we manage to do so. It is great to see a familiar face again. I enjoy a very nice evening and morning with Truus and her sisters and friend in Wanaka. Ladies, thanks again for the great Thai Dinner and big breakfast!!! And hopefully I can be your host next time you are in NZ.

Since me knee is improving I decide to move on by shuttle to Twizel, from where I hope that I can cycle to Mt Cook in a day or so. However, I also noticed a problem with my bicycle which is at the repair shop at the moment - so I have a bit of time to write this blog.
I will keep you up to date, but now have to rush off to do shopping etc.
Apologies for any strange grammar and typos, but hopefully you can enjoy the pictures, see:

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh106/AnitasTourDeAotearoa/Christchurch%20to%20Wanaka/?start=0

Catch you later,
Anita from a sunny Wanaka

4 comments:

Linas J said...

Sorry to hear about your knee :(

Anonymous said...

He getver, stukken steen in je knie. Je hebt toch wel een ijsje gekregen na het schoonmaken?
Ik heb net even dik zitten genieten van het mooie album..

Keep on touring!

And be careful, ok?

Hanneke.

WS said...

Whatcha up to now, Anita? Where you at? We need news! Hope your leg is feeling much better - I cringed when Marco told me what happened. Ouch!

-William

Anonymous said...

Hoi Anita!

Wij zijn net terug in Nederland...het zit er weer op helaas!
Fantastisch, fietsen in in NZ! Maar die auto's he...
Het is geen pretje om tussen Blenheim en KAikoura op de SH1 te rijden...
Hoe houdt je knie het!

Groetjes en nog veel moois gewenst,

Marcel