13/03/2008

Good news!

Hi all

Just a quick message from Blenheim this time after a very successful week at the NMIT (Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology). First of all on Wednesday we went on a field trip to one of the wineries where they just started up the vintage for their sparkling wines. We have been on this winery all day and doing things like emptying grates with grapes, cleaning grates, cleaning presses and listening to explanations of the whole process from grape receival to wine. Of course the best part of this day was the wine tasting itself. We tasted their first and second tier products and got to recognise the differences.

The next day we went on a tour on a vineyard that is owned by a French family. It was very interesting to see the compromises that are made here between the French and NZ philosophy of grape growing and wine making.

But the highlight of this week was that I have won a scholarship for part of my fees this year!! A few weeks ago I applied for this on basis of my particular situation here and my interest in the biodynamic way of grapegrowing. My ideas were good enough to grant me the scholarship and in a few weeks time there will be an official presentation of this. Of course I have to do some work for it as well. I will have to write progress reports and publications for a magazine. To me it is only an extra bonus! And hopefully after Easter I can start working on a biodynamic vineyard, so I can start learning more about this way of doing things. The biodynamics are not teached at the Institute, but I become more and more convinced of the fact that this is the way of the future (and should have been of the past!).

Sorry, this is a short message, but I am so excited and wanted to share it!!

Have a great weekend,
Anita

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job Anita !
and enjoy what you do !

Greetz
Pim

Anonymous said...

And who should take care of the biodynnamic drinking....? Always happy to help!
Miek & Hans

Anonymous said...

gefeliciteerd met je beurs!! Dat zijn de opstekers waar we vrolijk van worden. En dan wijnwijnwijnwijn all over the place. Not bad at all!!!
Lourens

WS said...

Hi Anita,

Marco told me about your scholarship - that is really great news! Congratulations! I hear that he is (hopefully) planning to come down to Blenheim to be there when you receive your certificate. Congrats again, very happy for you.

In other news, I guess you heard already that Stacey landed a position that is perfect for her! It seems that things are moving in the right direction finally. She said they (she and her parents) really enjoyed their evening out with you when they came through Blenheim. Glad you were able to get together.

I saw an episode of Love Life that made me think of you, and wanted to send a link:

http://www.dhlovelife.com/v2/show/archive/?wk=1

Scroll down to week 21: Biodynamic Wine. Are you in a place where you can download? If not, I could put it on a disk for you and send with Marco.

Hope you are well and not too tired out from the busy schedule you are keeping. Who said life was quieter in Blenheim???

Best,

William

Unknown said...

Hey Chick, gefeleciteerd hoor!!!!

Groetjes.

Unknown said...

Gefeliciteerd hoor. Al heb ik geen idee wat het is :o

Anonymous said...

Congratulations from (at the moment) Holland! Good of you to score the scholarship, looking forward to the day when we can have a drink of a bottle of Bordeaux d'Anita :)
Groetjes,
Hanneke

Anonymous said...

So Anita, now you are the Bionic Woman and getting paid to learn about growing my favoutite tipple - I knew I'd taken a wrong turn in life shomewhere, hic !
Well done and all the best from Bernard and Yvonne in snowy Sweden.